Friday, January 20, 2012

Soldier Boy






Meet Charlie, my oldest grandson. This past Halloween he decided he wanted to dress like a soldier. Ansley, my daughter-in-law, captured him standing in the doorway, gazing out with such a pensive look. The photograph spoke to my heart and I just had to try and capture it on canvas. This painting is the result.

I enjoy painting children, but I am not a portrait artist. I usually try and get a photograph of them doing something active - walking into the ocean, playing in the sand, on a mission in the great outdoors. Usually the faces aren't even showing. But, this time, I mustered up my courage to try to paint Charlie's face -just to give the impression of him, not to paint a portrait.

I was pleased with the result, and got the ultimate affirmation when Charlie saw it and said, "That's me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment